Ken founded Richey May & Co. in 1985 and he currently serves as the firm’s Managing Partner. In his role as Managing Partner, Ken’s primary responsibilities include leading firm growth and supporting the firm’s partners in their leadership, management, and technical problem solving efforts.
Under his leadership, the firm has consistently grown every year and has been recognized numerous times by Inside Public Accounting as one of the Best of the Best accounting firms in the country. He has instilled a passion for excellence and client service within his leadership and management teams. He works closely with his team to create value-added tax and business advisory solutions for closely held businesses and their owners.
Ken works directly with clients to create customized business and tax planning strategies. He consults frequently on business transactions, providing assistance with due diligence and structuring in mergers and acquisitions, financings, asset sales and business liquidation events. His clients come from a broad range of industries including mortgage banking, real estate, wholesale distribution, manufacturing, and various service industries.
Professional organizations, trade associations and business groups often seek Ken’s insights on a variety of issues. Ken frequently delivers articles and presentations to the Mortgage Bankers Association and Colorado Mortgage Lenders Association on tax and accounting issues affecting their members. Ken serves on the Advisory Board of Inside Public Accounting, an industry leading trade organization.
His accounting career began with Coopers & Lybrand and Hein + Associates in the late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s, but his entrepreneurial drive started much earlier as he grew up working on and helping to manage his family’s farming operations in Missouri.
Ken maintains a strong commitment to donating and volunteering in the Denver community. Ken was instrumental in the creation of the Richey May Cares Foundation in 2013, leading to the establishment of the firm’s annual “Richey May Cares Giveback Day.” During the inaugural event, over 58 people participated in volunteer work at 5 different Denver-area non-profits, contributing to the more than 450 community service hours donated by Richey May.
Ken thrives in the Colorado climate because it allows for such a great variety of activities year-round. He enjoys snowboarding through moguls and skiing in the winter, biking and golfing when the snow’s gone, and he maintains a year-round commitment to personal fitness.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Colorado
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, AICPA Tax Division
- Member, Management Consulting Services Division
- Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants (COCPA)
- Inside Public Accounting
- Member, Advisory Board
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Accredited Mortgage Professional (AMP)
- Financial Management Committee
- Colorado Mortgage Lenders Association (CMLA)
- Member, Board of Directors
- Chairman and Founder of Member Services Committee
- Co-Chair, Brokerage Issues Committee
- Recipient of Certified Mortgage Lender (CML) designation
- Texas Mortgage Bankers Association
- Alliance of Mergers and Acquisition Advisors (AMAA)
- Master of Taxation, University of Denver
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Denver