Eric Essian joined Richey May in 2017 and serves as a Tax Manager within the Alternative Investments Practice, specializing in the taxation of hedge, fund of funds, private equity and cryptocurrency funds. Eric consults with clients, administrators, and attorneys on many types of fund tax issues, including the startup, formation and ongoing operational issues of a fund, state tax issues, taxation of financial products, and tax law changes. Eric is also actively involved in the research of tax reform and the applicability of tax law as it relates to cryptocurrencies and digital assets. Prior to joining Richey May, Eric spent five years in Big 4 alternative investment groups in Chicago and the Cayman Islands, specializing in the tax treatments of wealth management, hedge funds, and offshore special purpose vehicles.
In his free time, Eric likes to golf, read, socialize with friends and root for all Detroit-based sports teams. Eric currently resides in Charlotte, North Carolina with his fiancée, Nicole.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Michigan
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- Michigan State University
- Master of Science in Accounting, 2012
- Bachelor of Arts with a major in Accounting, 2011